October 27, 2011

Craft Room Photo Tour

I always love seeing where other folks get creative, so today I thought I'd take you on a little tour of my craft room (don't worry, I'll be back tomorrow with another awesome card by the talented Brenda U!).  Last spring I moved from a spare bedroom into our den and I have to admit I love having the large space.  (Thanks hubby for moving my craft room 4 times since we've lived in this house...LOL!) While it's nothing fancy, it is definitely a happy place. :)
I do most of my creating in this portion of the room.  All of my most used tools and paper are kept within arms reach.



I store my most used Distress Inks in a 12 x 12 paper tray from the Mementos store. (thanks Lisa!)  These trays are also AWESOME for anyone who has to keep track of specific supplies used on projects.  As I work on a card, I add the supplies I use to the tray and then when I'm all done I can document my supply list and quickly put the supplies away.  Or if I have multiple projects going on at one time, I can keep everything organized by storing supplies and materials in each tray.
Here's a peek at my countertops and cupboards.  We purchased these at Lowes--so handy and very affordable.
 I store my Penny Black Mix and Match cardstock by color family in this paper organizer (thanks Dad!)and on top I keep track of paperwork (ugghh, paperwork...) in baskets.
And underneath one counter, between cupboards, are some old card catalog units that a school I taught in was giving away.  I soooo wish I had taken more, they are super handy.  Within these drawers are extra adhesives, glitters, some older stamps, Stickles, paint daubers, and other inks I use less frequently.

Around the corner is my punch storage.  This is actually an old bird cage holder.  Perfect for my punches and much quieter than the birds.  :)
Next, I have two white cabinets where I store some items for class, my finished cards, misc. supplies, and my Copics. Here's a peek inside.
Because my supplies and I travel to Mementos for class often, my most frequently used items are portable.  For example, I store my Copics in this handy craft tote, organized by color family. Inside the tote is a little basket, where I keep Copics that are ready to be refilled.
Speaking of being portable, right next to my desk is this rolling craft tote housing basic stuff like scissors, adhesive, etc.  It also holds a lot of my Faber-Castell items which I keep organized in pencil pouches.

Now on the other side of the room, you will find most of my "technical" equipment- here's the photo/light tent .
Around the corner you will find the area where I film my videos.  The camera stand actually came with the light tent.  It is intended to be attached to the table in front of the light tent, but what I've done here is attach it to this shelf next to my desk.  Then, when filming with the camcorder, my hands are directly below the camera.


To the right of the area where I film videos is my die cutting machine and my dies.  I store my dies (I keep Spellbinders in the original packaging for storage) in an old planter box. Oh, and if your die cutting machine moves around on your table, mesh shelf liners are perfect to keep it still while you crank it.

Finally, here is how I store my stamps.  Like most of the furniture in my room, this table has been repurposed from another room in the house.  It was purchased at Ikea and used to be our coffee table, but it works great for stamps now. 
My stamps are organized into baskets by categories (Christmas, Floral, Cutesy, Clear, etc.) and then labeled with a tag tied to the the basket with ribbon. The blue baskets on top contain stamps I am using in upcoming classes.


EDITED TO ADD : THIS is the light box/system I purchased.  LOVE it!  I still edit my photos using GIMP (free program you can download) but I really appreciate the freedom the light box system gives me in taking them the photo any time, day or night.
 
Well, thanks for joining me on this little tour.  I hope I haven't bored you to death! :)  If you've shared your craft space or organizing tips, I'd love to check it out-  just leave me a comment with a link. See you tomorrow with another gorgeous card by Brenda!
Oh, and I've got a few new cards on the Mementos blog today- here's a peek:

26 comments :

Marion said...

Thanks for sharing photos of your craft space Jill. I love to see how you organise things and the space were you create your awesome cards!

The Jule Box Studios said...

Love you space...nice and cozy!!!TFS! Jules:)

Brenda said...

Thanks for sharing your space today Jill! I always love seeing how other people organize themselves and I always come away with an idea to use in mine! I have lost count of how many times I have moved my craft area, albeit in the same room, but I have moved the furniture in there several times and I know I am still not satisfied! Poor husbands!!!

Tanya said...

Jill, love seeing where you create your beautiful work! You are so organized, my area always looks like a bomb went off in it.

Joy said...

Well have I been like waiting forever for this post.....nothing like having keep digging away at someone to finally get them to post about it...LOL seriously I love your room and I could just see us sitting there together laughing and crafting, actually probably more laughing then anything...thanks for sharing Jill..big hugs!

Art From The heart said...

Wonderful spot to be the creative person you are.

craftycon said...

Wow!!! Love your craft room Jill, I can't enough of seeing other peoples craft space. Makes me want to say home from work and get crafty, in your craft room. Haha. Thanks for sharing. Hugs Connie

Erin (Homemade Cards by Erin) said...

Oh this is fun to snoop around your space, love all the different bins... I have so much room for improvement in the organization department...

sheila said...

ooooh I love seeing the crafting space of others! Your's looks so wonderfully spacious and bright! So much lovely natural lighting! Thank you for sharing! Is it always so neat and tidy hehehe?

Darlene DeVries said...

Thanks for sharing Jill! Great photos. I love to see how other people organize their mess!
I am thinking about getting a lightbox. What brand do you have? Would you recommend it?

jen said...

Jill I love it! Its so nice to see where you work..Thanks for sharing your space with us!
hugs,jen

judy said...

Thanks for sharing photos of your
well organized craft space. I always
enjoy seeing where people create.

Teresa Zuehls said...

Thanks for sharing your craft space! Also liked the tip about the mesh shelf liner for under your die cut machine to keep it from moving. I will give it a try.

Elizabeth Allan said...

Thanks for the tour Jill. I like how you have everything organized and at your fingertips. It is fun knowing where you are sitting and creating all that wonderful mojo!

Anne said...

Love how organized you are Jill! Your space looks wonderful and it's so neat to see how everyone else has their stuff arranged!

Paula (PEP) said...

I chuckled when I read about your tray system for a project's supplies as I do the same for my blog posts - either a basket, tray or box lid - whatever is free at the time; then as soon as listed it goes back where it belongs. Your large guillotine is on my wish list - I have the smaller version with extendable arm but am always needing to measure where the join is........& have promised myself that when this one breaks...... I can have the big 12x12.
Thanks for all the inspiration you give - I gain much from your videos.
Paula (PEP)

Yvette said...

Thanks for sharing photos of your
well organized craft space. I would love to have a place like yours!

Barb said...

So fun to see where all that magical talent happens! Thanks for showing us, Jill! Wonderful space! :)

Chris said...

Thanks so much for sharing! I love how "real" your space is. It's perfect. It's not some Better Homes & Garden place that no one could ever possibly have. I consider you "famous" yet you are just like me in many ways. I hope I'm saying this right and getting my point across.

cheiron said...

Fun tour! Thanks for sharing your space and all your great storage ideas.

Maggie said...

Thanks for a great tour in your wonderful craft space! I love that you have a place for everything in the card making process. Also love that you store your supplies in eg an old planter box :)

CanadianScraps43 said...

Wow you must be crazy to think that this post would be boring. Just doing this walk threw with you gives me tons of new ways to re-organize my own scrappy place. I have been neglecting it for so long that my hubby is getting annoyed, but today you have given me so many ideas. Thanks for sharing your set-up for picture taking and video center. Did you make your own tent box or did you purchase it? Also, where did you get the lamps that you are using for picture taking. They look so much nicer than car lamps from Wally World. Lol. I so enjoyed this and it was not boring in the least. I love your craft from and wish that I could pop in right now to have a day of scrappy fun with you. We would have a blast for sure. Take cares sweetie. Hugs.

Penny Ward said...

Jill, I LOVED the tour. It is fun seeing where you as an artist do your thing, as I read your post daily.
I have posted a couple of pictures of my studio, so you can see my Copic & stamp holders. Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the great tour! I'm another one who'd like to know about the light tent you have for taking photos of your cards. I keep looking at them, but don't know enough about them to make a purchase. Thanks!

Peggy H said...

i loved seeing your space. it's so organized, it must be really fun to craft in. I got several great ideas. i am still looking for a more compact way to store my distress pads.

Denim Days said...

Hi Jill,

I love watching your videos, and it is great to see where it all happens! Your organising ideas are great, love the birdcage stand for your punches, may have to use that one! I love to look at other peoples craft rooms too, here is a link to a post I did on my craft room a while ago..http://denimdaysblog.blogspot.com/2011/07/my-new-craft-roompart-one.html
:) Tracey